Monday, May 05, 2008

A full life

This morning my granny passed away. She wasn't really sick. She had a heart attack (in Douglas) and died in the ambulance on her way to hospital (in Kimberley, 100 km from there).

I loved her. She was very short and cried when she was happy and also cried when she was sad. She called a spade a spade and had the ability to recall little incidents from all 5 her children's lives as well as that of her 10 grandchildren.

I think the most important thing was that my granny prayed for me. She had a little black book and mentioned the names of all her children, her 'other children' (children in law) and her grandchildren before God at least twice a day.

I remember waking up to the murmur of voices in the kitchen on the farm where my granny sat at the table having coffee with whoever was awake. I remember seeing her on her knees, praying. I remember how bad she felt when she could no longer kneel to pray.

I loved her and am shocked by her sudden death, but I am grateful and rich for having known her.

No comments: