Monday, May 26, 2008

The cares of this world

We discussed Matthew 6 yesterday. In our community, we have often talked about money and not serving mammon. Every week, we acknowledge God as God and get up to throw money in a broken claypot ('telling' our bodies to serve God physically in doing so). I think we might be getting so used to this strange ritual that it is no longer a challenge or a conscious process.

After all the changes in my life over the past 18 months, I had an immense sense of instability and I think I allowed the cares of the world to grow wild in my life (jumping to Jesus' parable of the seed) to bring some stability. If there are things you always worry about, it creates a (false) sense of stability.

It is so easy to create these little pockets that are blindspots to others and consciously or unconsciously concealed in (your?) my own mind. I think this creates fertile ground for the cares of this world to flourish.

My challenge yesterday was and today is this - God is God. God can be trusted. God will not leave me in the lurch - He loves me. God can take care of me. He is bigger than the oil price, increasing rates & my medication. He is bigger than my job and all the earthly things I surround myself with. I am going to trust God - just today. Tomorrow, we can think about tomorrow...

No comments: