Thursday, May 14, 2009

E.T. et al

Remember E.T. and all the other 'space movies' from the 80's? I was always fascinated by the way the space ships touched down... the landing was always followed by a hissing sound when the doors opened. Then light streamed out and walking planks were let down. After a short pause, the aliens would emerge and the magic would begin.

Last week, my friends and I did the Gallup strengthfinder course. Really useful. One of my natural strengths (according to the test) is relating. If I understood the facilitator correctly, it is all about connecting.

One of my biggest frustrations with depression is that I simply stop connecting. In fact, if we can go back to E.T. for a moment, the walking planks pull back and the doors close and I am locked inside. No matter how hard I try, I seem to be unable to open those doors again. I battle to express myself. Every day is difficult, because I have to interact with people and I battle to understand what they are saying, nuanses become impossible to detect and jokes are over my head all the time. When I get home, I am exhausted and really just want to sleep.

I guess what I am saying is that I am still here. I am kind of locked in a spaceship, but I am trying to get out. I did not stop caring. I did not stop thinking. I am just kind of stuck. Yet, I still have hope, because Jesus' story did not stop on Friday.... Sunday must be coming in my life too.

No comments: