Monday, February 12, 2007

Being a Christian in South Africa

Is being a Christian in South Africa any different from being a Christian elsewhere? I think it might be. I think Christians in South Africa face unique challenges and questions. Violent crime for one…

Over the past week crime was highlighted in every newspaper and every news bulletin, it seemed to be all people talk about. It seemed to be getting closer to home all the time. People seem to top each other's crime stories all the time.

My line manager said people should get out of the country as fast as they can. My brother (who lives in London) told me that, according to the BBC South Africa is officially the world's third most dangerous country to live in and our murder stats rival the deaths in Iraq on a daily basis.

What do I do as Christian? Do I have a role to play or should I just pack up and go? I don’t think so. What does God expect from me? Should I just turn a blind eye and ignore the violence? Should I sign some petitions? Join in the marches? I don’t think so.

The Bible instructs us to pray for the government. Paul writes to Timothy (1 Tim 22:1 & 2) “First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.”

If I pray for the government, I cannot criticize them. I need to find a way to make a positive contribution in South Africa. God planted me here. I am staying.

I will not repeat negative stories. I will not condemn the government. I will pray for the peace of South Africa.

In the old South Africa there used to be a bumper sticker that read “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14)

My challenge to you? Dare to trust God with me? Dare to pray for our government?

I choose to believe God. I hope you will too.

No comments: