Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Pride and prejudice

I like doing things on my own. I like working on my own. I like my independence and I love being able to help.

Over the past couple of weeks I had to accept help. It is really tough. Jesus said it is better to give than to receive, but I think I twisted this to suit my pride and prejudice. It is good to help, but you should not be in a position where you want or need anything?

Accepting help means admitting that I cannot do things on my own. Praying for help means that I need to acccept it when God provides (through His Body). Two recent examples that might seem simple, but are HUGE to me...

  • I scratched my (new) car and it is at the panel beaters now. Friends offered me their cars to drive. I have to get to work every day and therefore agreed to do it. Ironically their cars are much more expensive than mine. If they did not do this, I would have had to rent a car to get to work. God provided through His body.
  • My missionary friends needed a place to sleep in Pretoria and another couple offered their house. If they did not do it, I would have set the missionary friends up in a guest house. God provided through His body.
I am humbled. It is blessed to receive. It is blessed when you can move away from your own pride and prejudice.

No comments: