Monday, February 26, 2007

Seven invitations

I am part of the Kleipot (pronounced clay-pot) community in Johannesburg.

We embarked on a great journey which we would like to call the Seven Invitations. You can read more about this on our website (http://kleipotgemeente.typepad.com/kleipot_gemeente/2007/02/the_invitations.html). We decided to teach on this for the next seven months.

We kicked the curriculum off on Sunday, talking about the first invitation - making God Number One in our lives.

The first topic we discussed was the Kingdom of God.

What does it mean when I pray:

Our Father,
Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily portion of bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Firstly, it is not an apocalyptic prayer. We are asking for God's kingdom to come on earth. We are asking for His will to be done. Now... here...

This would imply that I am a servant. Doulos, slave... it questions my allegiance. It challenges my habits. I might say that God is King, but does my life say that God is my King? It implies that I will live my life in such a way that God's laws apply here and now. That God's Kingdom will come in my life and the lives around me...

This Kingdom is amazing, because I am also the King's child. This is the Kingdom of love and grace.

To pray for God's Kingdom to come, probably means to ask God help me love Him with all my heart, all my soul and all my intellect and those around me as myself. These are God's laws.

No comments: