Thursday, March 08, 2007

Lost and found

This is probably not my story to tell, but I love it!

Two months ago we had a meeting at Tom & Lollie's house. There were eight of us around the table. On that day their keys went missing.

This reminds me of the 'lost parables' in Luke. Jesus told us about a lady who had ten coins and lost one. She lit a lamp and searched every corner of her house. When she found it, she called her neighbours and friends and they had a party.

Jesus also told the parable of the lost sheep, posing the question: 'If a shepherd has one hundred sheep and one goes stray, will he not leave the ninety nine and go after the stray?' This is not the way we operate. I think we might have said something like: 'Win some, loose some...' The shepherd did not give up until he found that lost sheep.

Then there is the story of the prodigal son. He chose to leave - probably breaking his father's heart. He practically wished his father dead by asking for his inheritance. People probably gossiped. Yet, when he returned, having nothing left, his father welcomed him home and held a feast.

When Tom & Lollie's keys went missing, they searched every corner. All of us searched our bags and cars, looked in our homes and then made suggestions as to where they could still look. Now, after two months, they have finally found the keys!

It it Lent. It is the season we remember Jesus giving up heaven to come after us, to search for us and call us, to save us from our sins. It is the season we remember His sacrifice. It is the season I am reminded that He is faithful even when I am not. I am grateful that He does not give up on me and I am grateful for the reminder thereof in the keys that have been found.

No comments: