Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Depression and Christianity

This is a difficult one.

Sometimes I wonder how God will judge me. Whilst drawing up my plan for spiritual growth, I was confronted by a new question - when am I stretching myself and making sacrifices and when am I irresposible?

When I take my tablets, sleep 8 hours per night, go to gym and eat fresh fruit and veggies, when I don't use alcohol and caffeine - I cope and I think I can be a Christian. When my prescription changes or I do not sleep 8 hours, do not go to gym and eat junk, when I use alcohol and caffeine, I get suicidal and I am very sure I can't be a Christian.

Example: A year ago I thought it was normal to get up at 4:00 and spend an hour with the Lord before work. I thought it was normal to be out and about 4-6 nights per week. I obviously did not sleep 8 hours per night.

I think my question is - how do I stretch myself without being irresponsible? Your thoughts?

No comments: