Sunday, February 10, 2008

Following your feet


In 'A knight's tale' there is a scene where young William is sent away with a knight. The boy's only concern is if he will ever find his home again. His father, knowing that this is his boy's only chance at a better life, told him to just follow his feet home.

When Will returns to London as a knight, he finds his way to his father's home and helps the now blind thatcher to fix his roof. He claims to have news from his son and then admits that he is Will and that he followed his feet home.

For many years I had trouble with 'being religious' and would rather do nothing than just go through the motions.

Today, I re-committed to my community. It scares me, because I am simply not the person who joined anymore. I have a history with people and with God. Simple things seem to be difficult. I no longer take the same things in my stride. Disciplines really take discipline. Seemingly simple things take concentration.

I did not have goose bumps, I did not hear God tell me to write my accountability partner's name in the journal. There was no divine message to help put the claypot together again. Yet I did.

I know I could not find God in isolation. I hope I am following my feet home, one step at a time. Somehow I hope that going through the motions, I find my way back.

And our pot? We put all the pieces back, glued it, really tried to fix it, but it will never be quite like before we broke it and wrote our prayers on the shards. Broken. Just like my life. A symbol of what God already knew before He started me on my journey home.

1 comment:

Christina Holt said...

Ek's bly jy het