Wednesday, June 18, 2008

God as hostage?

Crazy idea, I know. God is Almighty, not a hostage. He is not a genie in a bottle. He does not do party tricks. He does not do magic. He is, He always was and He always will be.

However, sometimes I think we treat God just like a hostage. Over the past weekend a few friends (elders from Claypot) went to the Drakensberg to think and pray and brainstorm. Like often before we started sharing stories.

I went through a phase whilst studying Theology where I believed God will heal me from anything. I refused to take headache tablets and even put my glasses away, expecting God to heal my eyes. After two years, my prescription doubled. God did not heal my eyes.

I thought it was the end of the world. I prayed, I read God's word (I even read it aloud to Him), I listened to testimonies, there was a lot of introspection and confession. Yet, nothing 'did the trick'.

I shared this story over the weekend and since I spend a lot of time in traffic, I thought some more about some of the stories we shared.

When all is said and done - God is nobody's hostage. He is no 'bound by His word' like I used to confess. God is not a genie in a bottle. He works miracles, yes, but not magic. His miracles are often a little uncomfortable. God is God. God is Almighty. He is Sovereign and I cannot twist His arm. This might sound harsh, but tonight it is a comforting thought.

No comments: