Monday, June 23, 2008

Winter solstice

Saturday was winter solstice in the southern hemisphere. In theory the longest night of this winter is over and summer is on its way.

I am under no illusion about the temperatures and have no doubt that we will see more cold fronts. It will still be dark when I leave for work and it will probably be dark again by the time I leave the office, but there is the promise of summer and longer days.

I would like to believe that winter solstice in my life is also over. Yes, sometimes it is cold and dark, but it is getting better. There is God's sunshine when a child laughs with me. There is the comfort of friends I engage with again. In the meantime, my meds work. I am in a routine that seems to help. And there is the promise that the long night is not forever.

Summer is coming.

No comments: