Monday, May 31, 2010

A borrowed tale (Sisyphus / Camus 3/3)

Listening to the myth of Sisyphus, Camus and Hume conclude that the rational man will in all likelihood commit suicide. What kind of existence is it where one will never win, never beat the odds, never achieve?

Their next assumption surprises me more. They say that the strong man will keep rolling that rock up the hill, knowing that the rock will come down again.

Living with bipolar disorder is like rolling that rock up a hill and every time you (I) think (you) I have conquered, the rock comes down and you need to jump to get out of its way.

Living with bipolar is a fight to get to the top. To conquer circumstances and every now and again the disease.

So what should I then take away from this tale?

Maybe that the rock will come down? Maybe that I should start over and try again when that happens? Maybe I should learn from Camus and make peace with this senseless existence where I need to do the same things over and over?

In all of this, I pray that God will be close to you and to me, that He will help us to make sense of this life.

No comments: