Thursday, July 26, 2007

This thing called 'Community'

Community never came naturally to me. It is a discipline. One I practice with mixed results. When I am well, I am generally OK with community - when I am not OK, I prefer being much more of a hermit.

I am OK with the fact that a community consists of different parts. Going back to Paul's letter to the Corinthians we know that everybody cannot be the eyes or the feet. There are different people with different personalities and different roles in God's Kingdom.

There are different people with different personalities and different roles in the community I committed to. I was sure that that was what God wanted me to do. I had to accountable somewhere. When the wheels started coming off in my life and I was hurt, I started looking for ways out. I even resigned. My community did not accept it. For some strange reason they support me and I know I am safe.

Socrates said "Be slow to fall into friendship, but when you are in, continue firm and constant." I wonder what Jesus would say? Maybe "By this people will know you are My disciples - that you love one another"? "Forgive - no, not seven times. Seventy times seven times."?

Maybe, just maybe, my community can be God's way to get through to me. To wipe the tears and to comfort me. I love these people. I know that they care for me. A few months ago someone said 'this is like a marriage, for better or for worse'. Even if my community is not God's hands in this time in my life, I know I will be wrong to walk out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will gladly be a crow for Jesus ;)