Saturday, September 19, 2009

Following Jesus in Johannesburg this week

Following Jesus once was a very different concept. Twenty years ago, it meant something like:

- reading your Bible twice a day & pray
- go to 'church' twice on a Sunday
- go to youth on a Friday
- not swearing
- not smoking
- not drinking
- not to have extra-marital sex
- fasting occasionally

... and maybe one or two other things. It was basic, clear cut and simple.

As I journeyed on, discipleship has become so much more complex. Following Jesus turned me around. People who share no DNA markers with me, are now my relatives. Saying 'sorry for Apartheid' can never be enough. Following Jesus sometimes mean being unpopular. Often it equates to making the difficult decisions... and then keep standing.

It was one of those weeks. I want to want to love Jesus. I want to want to please Him and not people. I want to want to live more like Him and I want to want to keep following Him.

Following implies moving. It implies change. It implies keeping my eyes on Him. Sometimes, just for a moment, I wish I could go back to those early days, but then... I do not want to give up this journey. It is tiring and sometimes really difficult, but at the same time exhilarating.

May God reveal Himself to me and you. May He give us the strength and the courage to keep following Him... just one step at a time.

No comments: