Sunday, January 17, 2010

When your pastor(s) become your friends and family

I am part of a very small community in Johannesburg, called Claypot. We are weird. Not in the loud happy clappy or Latin speaking way, but in what we believe God wants us to do.

Four years ago at an elders' retreat we came up with 7 invitations to have a closer relationship with God. You can read more about it here.

In September 2009, we decided (and believe God told us) to do 3 things:

1) Living church as a verb (i.e. become Jesus' hands and feet) as opposed to just having a nice meeting.

2) Engaging with Jesus in a South African context.

3) Becoming a multicultural community.

To achieve this, we changed our rhythms. Another bold move. Instead of meeting on Sundays, we decided to have Sunday as a day of rest / Sabbath, with some Soulwork (homework) to do and we started meeting at Tom & Lollie's house on Wednesdays / Thursdays.

Tom and Lollie have pastored this community since inception. In fact they planted it with a few other people asking questions about what church is and what it should be.

I have known Tom since 1995, but only became friends with him & his wife, Lollie over the past 5 years. During this time, I have come to know them as compassionate and understanding. When I was diagnosed with major depression and wanted to leave church, they suggested I just take a sabbatical. Then, the community took me back, despite my really bad behaviour when I was at the very bottom end of the scale.

Now, the topic of bipolar disorder in church seems to be taboo. Yet, when the diagnosis changed to bipolar disorder, I got even more support and understanding from Tom & Lollie.

When my parents got divorced and both times my mom had major surgery in the past 3 years, they were pillars of strength. They not only prayed for me, but lived church and with our other friends cared for me in every possible way, including financially, which is still really humbling.

The past 5 years have been challenging to me in many ways, but (to a large extent) due to Tom & Lollie's input, I could keep my eyes on Jesus. They have the beautiful ability to stretch me, a little at a time, just in time. For instance they have made me more aware of the journey of racial reconciliation and were there to challange and guide step by step.

I could never be content to just live with the status quo. The single biggest thing Tom & Lollie enforced in my life, is that Christianity is a journey. It is not just a safe destination you reach after saying a prayer. You and I need to keep moving, looking for Jesus and His footsteps all of the time.

So... this afternoon, hats off to you, Tom & Lollie. I think you are doing an immaculate job. May you continue to be true to God's word and inspiration and help us to find God in unexpected places. You are friends closer than a brother. Love yoy & appreciate you.

1 comment:

Jacques said...

Hi Emtia. Thanks for writing. This is a great testimony. J