Saturday, March 06, 2010

Being in transit

I love travelling. I love seeing new places (even more so if they are in Ireland), but there is a problem: I simply hate being in transit.

There is something about being in limbo that really unsettles me. After 'leaving' South Africa (past passport and border control), I would have loved to immediately go into another country. I wish there was a way to cut out the process in the middle.

Recently I developed a little motion sickness and on every second or third flight, I get sick as a dog. I would also like it if I knew upfront who would sit next to me, which movies would be available, etc. I have never liked the unknown.

Add to this the uncertainty of what the 'other side' looks like, my anxiety about being there on time so as to not leave my hosts / friends waiting and you almost have a reason to stay at home.

The excitement of duty free malls faded quickly. I usually walk listlessly up and down until I can finally board and only settle down once I am officially elsewhere.

Once you went through passport control, there is no going back and only travellers may pass this point.

Yet, even though I practically hate being in transit, I have always loved the destination.

Our community is in transit at the moment. I think we are excited about where we are going, but we might be experiencing a little turbulence at the moment.

See, for years we were a bunch of rich mainly Gen X'ers meeting in a community hall in a rich white area on Sundays. Yet, we were saying for years that we need to become multi-cultural and even changed our language to facilitate the process. We said that we are trying to discover Who Jesus is in a South African context. We said that church is not a place where we meet on Sundays, it is a verb and we need to live it.

For years, saying these things did not move us an inch... so we embarked on a journey. We lifted our tentpens, we went through passport control... and now we are in limbo. It is uncomfortable here, but hey, it is only the journey, not the destination. We went through passport control and there is no going back.

What does the destination look like? No idea, to be honest... BUT 3 things will be there:

- We will LIVE church
- We will be multi-cultural
- We will strive to Follow Jesus in a South African context

In the meantime, please pray with us about this adventure and our (next) destination?

No comments: