Monday, October 01, 2007

When God asks more than common sense

I have this weird idea that God is not interested in common sense. See, in our culture you are not fooled by the same person twice. When you are hurt, you build a wall. In South Africa, we build the walls with electric fences before we are hurt.

We put huge signs around our lives, proclaiming "Private Property - no trespassing allowed". We try to protect our hearts and in doing so, become prisoners of our own fears.

Yesterday I attended the Sunday service in my old community and today I have this (horrible) suspicion that God might be asking more than common sense of me. I think He might actually want me to go back. To be exposed again.

On an intellectual level, it is ludicrous. I hear echoes like: "You fool me once, shame on you. You fool me twice, shame on me" and "not even a donkey bumps its head on the same rock twice".

But then, there is another voice, saying: "seventy times seven", "forgive us, as we forgive" and "Father, forgive them, they don't know what they do".

So today, I think, God wants more than common sense. I think he wants love - all my mind, all my heart, all my soul. My entire being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Job 19:21-27
Have pity on my, my friends, have pity for the hand of God has struck me. Why do you pursue me as God does? Will you never get enough of my flesh? Oh, that my words were recorded, that they were written on a scroll, that they were inscribed with an iron tool on lead, or engraved in rock forever! I KNOW THAT MY REDEEMER LIVES, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes - I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!
(In the midst of his deepest agony, Job expressed astonishing words of hope. Job did not try to hide his despair and anguish, but, as verse 25 shows, the trials never crushed all of his hope.)
We need to remember...In the end our lifes are all about Him.
Ek's lief vir jou en sien uit om jou weer sondae te sien!!!