Friday, September 28, 2007

Finding God in a plate of pasta

Philip Yancey wrote a book called "Finding God in unexpected places". Last night I did just that.

I had dinner with a friend and a bunch of kids. God was there. I think the penny dropped - no (wo)man can be an island. We were made to live in community.

I can list the benefits of an 'island style' life:

- You are not exposed
- Nobody can be disappointed in you or hurt by you
- You can mind your own business and nobody else interferes in it
- You can do anything you want, where you want and when you want
- Nobody can hurt you, because nobody matters enough to do that

The problems with this lifestyle would be:

- You are exposed - you stand alone
- You miss out on being involved in other lives and sharing Jesus
- You miss out on the opportunity of being part of the body of Christ
- You become selfish
- You hurt, because there is nobody to share your pain.

On Sunday, I am going back to my community. I am scared. Truthfully, I am going because I promised somebody a long time ago that I will be there this week. I hope it breaks the ice. No (wo)man is an island.

I need to belong. I did not find God on my own, looking in all kinds of places, but last night He was there. He was in the friendly conversation and a plate of pasta. I have no illusions about living in a community and do not expect a honeymoon, but I have weighed the options and calculated the cost.

No comments: