Thursday, September 13, 2007

Nothing for nothing?

In April a close friend of mine had a birthday party sponsored for their two year old. She just had to pay for the paper plates and a few other things. However, when the invoice arrived, the few things she had to pay amounted to much more than the average birthday party's cost.

At the time we had a long chat about freebies and how nothing is really free. If people do not expect money back, they will ask something else. When I wrote the 'Ex gratia' post, this was in the back of my mind and I thought I proved our theory wrong.

Our theory stood the test. Nothing is free after all. The medical aid will still not cover my expenses and I feel cheated. Jonah comes to mind. God gave him a tree and when the tree died, he got upset.

I guess I should take a page from Jonah's book today - if it wasn't yours to start with, why be upset when you loose it? Chin up, wipe your cheeks. I still have a job and I am healthy. The sun is shining and the birds chirping (really).

Today is also Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New year) and maybe, just maybe, today is the start of a new chapter in my life and walk with God.

No comments: