Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Ex gratia

Ex gratia literally means out of grace.

The strangest thing happened last week. My medical aid was depleted for the first time in my life. I hardly ever claimed before, but this year I had a lot of medical expenses. I accepted the fact and just wondered how I was going to make ends meet.

In passing mentioned the depletion of the fund to the medical sister on site. She gave me a form to complete with the details of the medication I am using as well as the treatment plan. After I completed the forms, I forgot about it.

This morning I had an email from the medical aid saying they will continue to pay for my treatment - ex gratia. Not because of anything I have done or said or could do in return. Just because.

I would like to think out Jesus in that way. He gives - ex gratia. I cannot deserve His love. I cannot work to become acceptable to Him. Grace alone.

No comments: