Monday, September 10, 2007

Monday

It is a gorgeous day in Johannesburg. I think we somehow skipped spring and fast forwarded to summer.

I have no profound ideas or serious questions today. I am not in the middle of an existential crisis and will not attempt to save the world in the next few hours. It is simply Monday, the second day of the week. It is also a few of my friends' birthday today.

Marie works in my building, she is 60 today. Her son was born with one arm. He recently got divorced and tried to commit suicide. She knits scarves for an additional income (I am sure she is not as ecstatic about summer as the rest of us). She is one of the bravest people I know. She got a raw deal, but always manages a smile or a joke and an interesting story.

Wilna crossed my path 3 years ago. She is a teacher, is married to Pieter (an engineer) and they have 2 beautiful children. Dawid is 5 and Talita 3. She always manages to see the silver lining.

Yvonne is a dear friend. Her husband has bipolar disorder. She referred me to the psychiatrist I am using. She reads my scripts and tells me when I need to see the doctor soon (i.e. I am not coping and need to make a plan). She is my 'reality check friend' who can tell me anything and I will not get angry. I trust her. She never tries to tell me that I am 'going through a phase' or 'the Lord is still on the throne'. We have a long shared history, they were also in the ministry before.

Tayla is 2 today. She is Tom & Lollie's little princess. She is always friendly and I think everybody can learn something from her. From time to time Tom shares about the things she does and says on Soulgardeners. I would like to consider her my friend, will just check with her if it is OK the next time I see her.

Today I am grateful for these precious people. I am grateful that the Lord saved them for another year and that He is involved in each of their lives in a special way.

No comments: