Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Heritage day

Yesterday we celebrated Heritage day in South Africa. It was a public holiday and I took my brother (visiting from London) to Soweto. It was thought provoking.

We saw Nelson Mandela's house and Desmond Tutu's house (both on Vilakazi street), the Hector Pietersen memorial as well as the Gloria Mundi church where 600 children died in a stampede when police started shooting at them and pumping tear gas into the church. We saw the rich areas as well as the squatter camps.

The stories somehow sound very different to what they did when I studied the apartheid laws and uprisings in History. Yesterday I looked a man in the eyes whose brother died because he insisted the brother take him to the (political) gathering at Gloria Mundi.

Living in South Africa, I have been tempted to say that I never voted before 1994 (our first democratic election). I have been tempted to condemn people for repeating stories about the sins of our past. On the other hand, if I am honest, I have to admit that I am still benefiting from apartheid. If I wasn't white, I wouldn't have studied where I did. I wouldn't have met the people who influenced my later career. If I did not meet them, I would not have had my nice car or comfortable home.

Yesterday, when I looked Emmanuel (whose brother died) in the eyes, I realised that all these luxuries came at a very expensive price. One I did not pay.

I pray that God will heal our country's scars. I pray that we will learn from each other. I pray that God will help the people who paid the price to forgive and that He will comfort them.

This morning I am still at a loss for words. Nothing I say or do today can fix anything. However, I will always try to remember this different perspective on our heritage.

No comments: