Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Honesty

Yesterday my friend Tom asked me to read Psalm 55 every day of this week, but only if I wanted to. I read it today. I also read his latest post (under my shared items).

It brought back a lot of memories from my honours year. We read The Message of the Psalms: A Theological Commentary (Walter Brueggemann) and our Old Testament lecturer spoke a lot about honest communication with God (I think he even did a doctorate on it).

I also remembered a song that I was always too scared to sing. I think the song was called Sacrifice, and a part of the lyrics said Honestly Jesus, you can strip me to the core, I will love you more and more, living a sacrificed life. It scared me, because it implies exposure, possible pain and sacrifice.

I think that somehow I have been stripped of a lot of things and it is not necessarily a bad place to be. When the pretense falls away and you know that you will die if God does not intervene and you simply cannot help yourself might be a good place to start. As children we used to say 'Let's start again' when a game did not go the way you anticipated. Maybe Jesus and I can start over. Maybe this is the place where I can get to know Jesus again for the first time.

No comments: