Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Gandhi or Hitler?

I am reading a book by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross called 'Life lessons'. My psychiatrist recommended that I read it (and the other advice she gave me paid off).

In the very first chapter (on authenticity) she states that we all have the potential to be a Gandhi or a Hitler... or any shade of grey in between. By denying your dark (shadow?) side, you only make matters worse.

I have always believed that a drunk person is usually an honest person, because there is no pretense left and no harm perceived in letting their guard (even further) down. I am starting to think that people suffering from depression is not much different. Authenticity is not this ideal anymore - it just happened.

When I read some of my posts in retrospect, I cannot believe how much I said and how much of it I meant at the time. Maybe I have lost my tact or maybe I am just tired of pretending. I crave what is real.

I feel stripped. I feel exposed. I know that I am lost without God. I have never needed my friends' love to cover me more.

I can be Gandhi or Hitler or anything in between. I pray that God will be with me and that He will mold me. I pray that He will guard my mouth and that I won't hurt others with what I am saying. I pray that He will cover me with His love and help me to love Him with everything I have and others as myself.

No comments: