Sunday, November 25, 2007

Giving thanks

It is Thanksgiving weekend in America. In our community, we take the time to celebrate it. Every week we do provide a platform to thank God, but once a year, we take a service to talk about the good things God does in our lives.

This morning we spoke about Jesus and the ten lepers (at the hand of Luke 17) and how the Samaritan turned back to thank Jesus whilst the 9 Jewish lepers continued their 5 day journey to the temple (following Jesus' instruction).

Leprosy is not common in our modern society, but there are other illnesses that does what leprosy did in the time of Luke. This morning we mentioned Aids. I have to mention mental illnesses.

This year I felt like a leper. I isolated myself and when I was amongst people, I 'knew' I was different. Some of my friends tried to help. Some just avoided me. Some told others they are praying for me. Today I am grateful for children.

Paul and Tayla are both two and a bit years old. I am so grateful that God and their parents allowed me to be a part of their lives. They never looked at me strangely. There were no awkward silences. We just played. If I were a fan of cloning, I'd probably have those two cloned - I pray that everybody will have somebody like Paul and Tayla in their lives. They don't judge or question you. They simply enter into conversation about anything around. They learn and teach. They became Jesus to me.

I am not a leper. I may do things different from the way I did a year ago, but I am still me. I am grateful that God carried me in this year. I had a cancer scare, but no cancer. I had an accident with my car, but wasn't hurt. My parents got divorced, but I still have parents. My mom was really sick and had a big operation, but she is a little better every day. I work hard, but I have a good job.

God's mercies truly are new every morning. I pray hat He will help me to see the beauty in every day. I pray that He will alert me to the simple things in life. A child's laughter, a wild flower, a sunset... and that when I do see it, I will remember the Source and remember to thank Him. After all, it is only good manners ;-)

No comments: