Monday, December 10, 2007

About Schmidt or about Jesus?

I adopted an orphan today. She will not live with me, but I can buy her a Christmas gift and food and some clothes. I can pray for her and maybe celebrate her birthday with her.

Her name is Lethu and she is 2-3 years old. She lives in a squatter camp north of Johannesburg (Diepsloot). This is all I know.

When I mentioned this 'adoption' to a colleague, he smiled and said 'Just like Schmidt!'. I had this internal debate for the rest of the morning and had to ask myself some serious questions. See, my friends also adopted some of these kids. Due to HIV Aids there are lots of orphans around and reality is that a lot of them will not have food to eat this Christmas. They do not have family.

So why do I want to adopt a black orphan I have never met? To validate my existence (like Schmidt)? To repent from Apartheid? Because I hate to see people suffer?

Yesterday Tom told a story about an American child. His dad tried to explain Christmas gifts and asked where they come from. The little guy replied that the wise men gave Jesus gifts. Then the dad said that Jesus is not on earth any more - so what about the gifts? Easy! Jesus said if you do it to the least of these, you have also done it to Me! So... we should give to the poor.

This Christmas, adopting an orphan is my reasonable faith. If Jesus was here, I would have loved to give Him gifts. I think He is here... just not where you would expect to find the King. I think He is in a squatter camp, giving me the opportunity to give this Christmas, the opportunity to make a Child smile.

No comments: