Monday, December 17, 2007

A song

Yesterday we discussed Mary's Magnificat and dwelled on the magnification of God despite all other things...


Young Mary was probably 14 - 16 years old. She had a real problem - she was pregnant! I am sure nobody would ask her how it happened, after all there is only one known way to fall pregnant. Joseph and Mary must have crossed that line, then. I am sure there was a lot of gossip and talking behind their backs.


It was also the time of the crazy king Herod who killed people (seemingly without reason) and who always felt threatened by other leaders. The Roman ceaser at the time - Augustus - was known as the son of god.

And then, young Mary sang her song. A song of God's faithfulness and all the great things He has done. Despite political leaders and her pregnancy. Despite the fact that she would probably be stoned because of her illegitimate Child, despite everything... a song of praise and to magnify God.

Tom's challenge was this - why don't we write songs or psalms to God in this Advent? Looking back on a year's journey, God must have done something for us?

So, here is my attempt:

Lord, I love you.
This year, I felt that you stripped chunks of who I thought I was away.
There were many days, I did not know where you were or how to reach you,
yet you have never left me.
Even when I could not see or hear or feel you,
you were with me.
You were a shield around me, a wall of fire.
Every time I fell, you picked me up.
Every time I sinned, you forgave.
You wiped my tears.
I still feel stripped, but now I know you are here.
You are more than just a sensoric experience...
When I don't see, hear, feel, smell or taste your presence,
you are still here.
You still protect me.
Lord, help me to know you better.
Help me to see you as you are.
Help me to look past my own ideas of who you should be and see you.
Lord, help my unbelief.
Please strengthen my knees when they buckle.
Please remind me of your loving kindness that is new every morning.
Amen

No comments: