Monday, December 17, 2007

Reconcilation and Restitution

Today is a public holiday in South Africa, because yesterday was the Day of Reconciliation. Pre 1994, the day was known as 'Geloftedag'.

In 1838 a man named Sarel Cilliers prayed that God would protect the Afrikaners and give the enemy in their hand (Zulus in this battle). He promised that the Afrikaners would then commemorate 16 December every year and keep it as a Sabbath.

Post 1994, the day changed to the Day of Reconciliation. Last year, a bunch of us built a sandpit for (black) blind kids living mostly in squatter camps. To me, it was a tangible way to seek reconciliation after Apartheid and make restitution.

This morning, I was confronted by reconciliation in a strange way. I love animated movies and missed Ratatouille. This morning I went to Clearwater Mall to see Bee movie. While I was in the movies, I received an sms from my bank verifying a transaction of R 1500 at Levi's. I have never owned Levi's - obviously someone was stealing from me. An hour later (after I immediately left the movie, had the card blocked and spoke to people at Levi's), I realised the only person who could have done it, was a young girl at NuMetro.

I was in two minds - I can't just storm in there and make accusations, but on the other hand, I was robbed!

It turned out that this girl did in fact take my card, asked to go to a supermarket to buy pap for her granny and then went to Levi's with my card.

When I had the centre's security, Levi's manager, NuMetro's manager and this girl in one office, I had to make a call. Do I report her to the police and have her arrested or do I let it go?

I think I am emotional and irrational these days. This kid is only seventeen years old. This was probably a first offence. If she has a criminal record, I know she will not find another job.

I dropped it. I am not sure if it was the right thing to do. I had the opportunity to have a thief apprehended, but chose to let her go. See, I have sinned. I could not cast a stone. I pray that God will help this girl to go away and not to sin anymore.

Reconciliation? It is work. We need to find ways to share the love of this God we told others chose us over them. Restitution? It is work. Every day. May God help us.

No comments: