Wednesday, September 03, 2008

She?

I saw an interesting video tonight. It is called 'She' by Nooma (Rob Bell) and explores the feminine side of God. Having recently read 'The Shack', which introduces Father God as a black lady, the thoughts were not entirely new, yet refreshing.

It is so simple for us to throw words like 'omnipotent' and 'omnipresent' around. How about God being more than male or female? God made humans, male and female, in His image. But how? The only possible solution is that God supercedes and encompasses both sexes.

I love some of the feminine expressions of God in the Bible. God takes care of us, siblings. God loves me and when my mind cannot comprehend it and I do not feel it, it is still true. Last week someone I really value (and think is very wise) said 'A mother is always only as happy as her unhappiest child'.

This is where I wish we could think in Amplified terms - stop, pause, think! What if this is also true of God? What if God's heart also breaks when we battle to survive and when we hurt? What if God is wiping our tears and patching up wounds? What if God really holds His breath while we take a few steps at a time? What if God hovers nearby while we decide if we will get back on our bikes and try again?

I think God does all of this and much more. I think God feels my pain even when I don't. I think God chuckles at some of the things I do and say. I know God loves me. I know He loves you too.

No comments: