Monday, September 08, 2008

So, what is in a name?

Driving home tonight, I listened to a news report. An appeal was made not to abuse Madiba's name. Apparantly somebody sold a 24 carat black diamond at huge profit, because he called it the Madiba diamond. The spokesperson proceeded to explain the legal consequences and just how his name is protected. Ironically, Madiba uses his own name in efforts to raise money for childrens' charities. For free.

Last week Tom lead us in an interesting discussion about Moses and the burning bush. What really made an impression on me, is how God introduces Himself. I am. Just that. Not a lot of titles. No big ado.

We know that the Jews will never mention God's Name, probably as a result of fear of abusing the Name above all names. I don't think God meant for us not to know His Name. However, I think He wanted us to know Him and not just a Name.

I am comforted by the fact that God is - with me.

No comments: