Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday

On Saturday, our president was asked to resign. On Sunday he did so. On Monday (which was only yesterday) our company's CEO announced his retirement on he back of an announcement that one of our shareholders want a substantially bigger stake (and probably management control). Today one of the international banks (I deal with daily) announced that they are leaving the country and another hour later 11 ministers resigned from the cabinet.

These changes obviously impacted on our currency and the company news on our shareprice. I watch these figures every day - it is my job to know where currencies trade and how our shares perform relative to various indices.

Sometimes, I wish there were clear cut and well defined indicators of how I am doing. I would for example love to measure relationships with a glance at a monitor, but that defeats relationship, doesn't it?

I am in a bit of uncharted waters myself. I spoke to my psychiatrist yesterday and she agreed to reduce my meds even more. I am obviously glad about that. However, her very next sentence was 'BUT you have to monitor your mood closely'. But how? 'And', as if I did not know, 'there will be withdrawal symptoms'.

Tonight I am amazed at the pace of change and grateful that tomorrow is a public holiday in South Africa. My head feels like chewing gum, blown up, popped & pulled in opposite directions. Tonight I also know that Jesus does not change. He is consistent and a Safe Refuge when everything else wobbles. I am grateful for my community and their support and lessons I learn from little guys who do not know what a president or a CEO is.

No comments: