Saturday, February 20, 2010

Obedience vs burnt offerings

I adore my cat. Thomas (O'Malley) is 5 years and 3 months old and is definitely the most charming housemate I have ever had.

I think he thinks I must be a god, because I open the tins and open the taps for him. He often brings 'offerings' home. I live in a complex on a hill and behind the complex, it is just too steep to build. The result is that there is veld and my mini-lion loves his savanna.

We have had all kinds of offerings... a guinea fowl and variety of other birds, various rats, mice, lizards, a frog, 5 snakes and the list continues. He never eats the prey or even break their skin. He kills and puts the offering in front of my bed.

Yesterday he went on a spree. He killed 3 lizards, followed by 2 birds. Every time he just wanted my approval and recognition. In fact, he 'talks' in short miaaus until I acknowledge him and his prey.

When he disappeared up the for the umpteenth time yesterday, I thought about 2 things:

1) God says obedience is far better than offerings. I had to wonder what my 'gifts' / 'sacrifices' look like to Him? Even when I worked long and hard at something, why do I think it is a worthy offering?

2) I do not have to earn God's love. He just loves me. Personally, this is far easier said than done.

This morning, I still adore my Thomas, but not more than I did at this time yesterday. I'd rather have him sleeping at home and hear the occasional purr when he surfaces to see if he's missing any fun.

I pray that God would change our hearts during Lent and help us to be obedient as we are fasting. I pray that God will change me and help me to experience Him as Father and accept that He loves me.

No comments: